Sisters in STEM
About the Sisters in STEM Journal
Sisters in STEM showcases the outstanding work of students from Columbus School for Girls in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Students in Forms I-XII submit projects, experiments, designs, observations and book reviews that they have completed either inside or outside the classroom to the journal for peer review. Each issue will also have a teacher-curated section that features the STEM work of our youngest students in the Program for Young Children.
Our Editorial Committee, composed of students in middle and upper school along with two faculty (Dr. Stephanie Nelson and Ms. Jessica Fries-Gaither), evaluate each submission according to our rubrics and send feedback to authors. If the work is appropriate for publication in the journal, authors will then have the opportunity to revise and resubmit their work prior to publication. This creates an authentic peer review process that pushes our students to experience the same steps as working professionals publishing in STEM fields.
Interested in submitting your work to Sisters in STEM? Use one of the buttons below to look at the specific rubrics and submission processes for authors in Lower School or in Middle to Upper School.
We are open for submissions from now through 11:59 pm on January 3, 2024.
Submissions will be evaluated in the order that they are submitted, with earlier feedback being given to work submitted on or before December 15, 2023.
Sisters in STEM Logo Contest
We are looking for a logo to use on all our materials for the journal, including social media, on the cover, and on this very website.
Students in ALL GRADES at CSG are encouraged to submit their sketch(es) on paper to either Ms. Fries-Gaither in her classroom OR to Dr. Nelson in the box right outside room 231.
- No larger than 8.5”x11” sheet of paper (letter/printer paper)
- Can be in color or black-and-white
- Can include “Sisters in STEM” but does not have to
- All submissions should be on paper. You can create your image digitally, just please print a copy for submission so that we can evaluate all entries fairly.
- Do not forget to put your full name and Form number on the back!
- Note: All logos will eventually be converted to a digital format, so please keep any digital files you create—if your entry is the winner we may want to work with that file.
Voting for the winning logo will happen immediately after we return from Winter Break.
The deadline for logo submissions is Friday, December 15, 2023 at 3:00pm.
If you have any questions about the contest, please send an email to STEMjournal@columbusschoolforgirls.org.